Background Image In Blazor, Las Ondas Theta Son Peligrosas, Articles S

Book transmission is a tricky business, and often, when working with handwritten copies of ancient texts, modern scholars must determine if specific words include typos or if the mistakes were deliberate. Come, as in that island dawn thou camest, Billowing in thy yoked car to Sappho. This only complete Sappho poem, "Hymn to Aphrodite," expresses the very human plea for help with a broken heart. [] Thus seek me now, O holy Aphrodite!Save me from anguish; give me all I ask for,Gifts at thy hand; and thine shall be the glory,Sacred protector! Ode To Aphrodite Lyrics Aphrodite, subtle of soul and deathless, Daughter of God, weaver of wiles, I pray thee Neither with care, dread Mistress, nor with anguish, Slay thou my spirit! In the ode to Aphrodite, the poet invokes the goddess to appear, as she has in the past, and to be her ally in persuading a girl she desires to love her. The goddess interspersed her questions with the refrain now again, reminding Sappho that she had repeatedly been plagued by the trials of lovedrama she has passed on to the goddess. In Sapphos case, the poet asks Aphrodite for help in convincing another unnamed person to love her. .] . The poem survives in almost complete form, with only two places of uncertainty in the text, preserved through a quotation from Dionysius of Halicarnassus' treatise On Composition and in fragmentary form in a scrap of papyrus discovered at Oxyrhynchus in Egypt. someone will remember us Sappho's "___ to Aphrodite" Crossword Clue Nyt Clues / By Rex Parker'son Advertisement Sapphos to Aphrodite NYT Crossword Clue Answers are listed below and every time we find a new solution for this clue, we add it on the answers list down below. 1 Everything about Nikomakhe, all her pretty things and, come dawn, 2 as the sound of the weaving shuttle is heard, all of Sapphos love songs [oaroi], songs [oaroi] sung one after the next, 3 are all gone, carried away by fate, all too soon [pro-hria], and the poor 4 girl [parthenos] is lamented by the city of the Argives. "Hymn to Aphrodite" begins with the unidentified speaker calling on the immortal goddess Aphrodite, daughter of the mighty Zeus, the use her unique skills to ensnare a reluctant lover. In Homer's Iliad Hera the goddess of family and Athena the goddess of wisdom and warfare are in a chariot to attend the battle. Yours is the form to which The sons of Atreus, kings both, . you anointed yourself. setting out to bring her to your love? You have the maiden you prayed for. We do know that Sappho was held in very high regard. 1 Timon, who set up this sundial for it to measure out [metren] 2 the passing hours [hrai], now [. I say concept because the ritual practice of casting victims from a white rock may be an inheritance parallel to the epic tradition about a mythical White Rock on the shores of the Okeanos (as in Odyssey 24.11) and the related literary theme of diving from an imaginary White Rock (as in the poetry of Anacreon and Euripides). But what can I do? Honestly, I wish I were dead. . Chanted its wild prayer to thee, Aphrodite, Daughter of Cyprus; Now to their homes are they gone in the city, Pensive to dream limb-relaxed while the languid Slaves come and lift from the tresses they loosen, Flowers that have faded. [33] Arguing for a serious interpretation of the poem, for instance, C. M. Bowra suggests that it discusses a genuine religious experience. She completed, The Center for Hellenic Studies in Washington and Greece would like to express our sincerest condolences to the family of. Indeed, it is not clear how serious Sappho is being, given the joking tone of the last few stanzas. A number of Sappho's poems mention or are addressed to Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love. The earth is often a symbol of fertility and growth (both the Greeks and the Romans has a goddess of Earth, Ceres and Demeter) since when seeds are planted then there is a "conception" as the earth sprouts that which lives. Sappho also uses the image of Aphrodites chariot to elevate and honor the goddess. If you enjoyed Sapphos Hymn to Aphrodite, you might also like some of her other poetry: Sign up to unveil the best kept secrets in poetry. once I am intoxicated, with eyebrows relaxed. [5] Another possible understanding of the word takes the second component in the compound to be derived from , a Homeric word used to refer to flowers embroidered on cloth. 27 in grief.. The repetition of soft sounds like w and o add to the lyrical, flowing quality of these stanzas and complement the image of Aphrodites chariot moving swiftly through the sky. Still, it seems that, even after help from the gods, Sappho always ends up heartbroken in the end. Prayers to Aphrodite: For a New Year. Nagy). If so, "Hymn to Aphrodite" may have been composed for performance within the cult. .] 11. Apparently her birthplace was. <<More>> The persecution of Psykhe . The repetitive syntax of Carsons translation, as in the second line If she refuses gifts, rather will she give them, which uses both the same grammatical structure in both phrases, and repeats the verb give, reflects similar aesthetic decisions in the Greek. The first is the initial word of the poem: some manuscripts of Dionysios render the word as "";[5] others, along with the Oxyrhynchus papyrus of the poem, have "". Aphrodite has power, while Sappho comes across as powerless. Compared to Aphrodite, Sappho is earthly, lowly, and weighed down from experiencing unrequited love. 26 In other words, it is needless to assume that the ritual preceded the myth or the other way around. Carm. A big part of that shift is tonal; in contrast to the lilting phrases and beautiful natural imagery of Sapphos stanzas, Aphrodites questions use a humorous, mocking tone towards the poet and her numerous affairs of the heart. He quoted Sappho's poem in full in one of his own works, which accounts for the poem's survival. However, a few of them still shine through, regardless of the language or meter: Beautiful-throned, immortal Aphrodite,Daughter of Zeus, beguiler, I implore thee,Weigh me not down with weariness and anguishO thou most holy! Sappho 105a (via Syrianus on Hermogenes, On Kinds of Style): Just like the sweet apple that blushes on top of a branch, Just as smiling Aphrodite comes down from heaven to meet lowly, wretched Sappho, even a person who rejects your gifts and runs away from you can come to love you one day. In addition, it is one of the only known female-written Greek poems from before the Medieval era. [5] And however many mistakes he made in the past, undo them all. 12. The final line, You, be my ally, balances these concerns. and straightaway they arrived. Apparently her birthplace was either Eressos or Mytilene, the main city on the island, where she seems to have lived for some time. of our wonderful times. 4 In one manuscript, the poem begins with the Greek adjective for on a dazzling throne, while another uses a similarly-spelled word that means wily-minded. Carson chose to invoke a little bit of both possibilities, and speculates that Sappho herself might have intentionally selected an adjective for cunning that still suggested glamour and ornamentation. . [12], The second problem in the poem's preservation is at line 19, where the manuscripts of the poem are "garbled",[13] and the papyrus is broken at the beginning of the line. By shifting to the past tense and describing a previous time when Aphrodite rescued "Sappho" from heartbreak, the next stanza makes explicit this personal connection between the goddess and the poet. In Sappho 1, Aphrodite at the moment of her epiphany is described as ' ("smiling with . Blessed Hera, when I pray for your Charming form to appear. Her poetry is vivid, to the point where the reader or listener can feel the sentiments rising from the core of his or her own being. 3 Do not dominate with hurts [asai] and pains [oniai], 4 O Queen [potnia], my heart [thmos]. turning red 5 But come here, if ever before, when you heard my far-off cry, you And you came, leaving your father's house, yoking Forth from thy father's. and throwing myself from the white rock into the brine, Little is known with certainty about the life of Sappho, or Psappha in her native Aeolic dialect. In her personal life, Sappho was an outspoken devotee of Aphrodite who often wrote the goddess into her poetry. Her poetry is vivid, to the point where the reader or listener can feel the sentiments rising from the core of his or her own being. [24], Sappho asks the goddess to ease the pains of her unrequited love for this woman;[25] after being thus invoked, Aphrodite appears to Sappho, telling her that the woman who has rejected her advances will in time pursue her in turn. So, even though Sappho received help in the past, now, the poet is, once again, left all alone in heartbreak. 1 [All] you [powers] must bring [agein] Gorgonia, whose mother is Nilogeneia, [to me]. [] Many of the conclusions we draw about Sappho's poetry come from this one six-strophe poem. in the future. Sappho's A Prayer To Aphrodite and Seizure Sappho wrote poems about lust, longing, suffering, and their connections to love. resource to ask questions, find answers, and discuss thenovel. Some scholars question how personal her erotic poems actually are. During Sappho's lifetime, coins of ***** were minted with her image. And there was no dance, On the one hand, the history the poem recounts seems to prove that the goddess has already been the poets ally for a long time, and the last line serves to reiterate the irony of its premise. Poem Solutions Limited International House, 24 Holborn Viaduct,London, EC1A 2BN, United Kingdom. 21 We too, if he ever gets to lift his head up high, 22 I mean, Larikhos, and finally mans up, 23 will get past the many cares that weigh heavily on our heart, 24 breaking free from them just as quickly. So, basically, its a prayer. More unusual is the way Fragment 1 portrays an intimate relationship between a god and a mortal. and garlands of flowers For you have no share in the Muses roses. The Hymn to Aphrodite by Sappho was initially composed in Sapphic stanzas, a poetic structure named after Sappho. Sapphos Hymn to Aphrodite was originally written between the 7th and 6th centuries BCE in the East Aeolic dialect of Archaic Greek. What should we do? After Adonis died (how it happened is not said), the mourning Aphrodite went off searching for him and finally found him at Cypriote Argos, in a shrine of Apollo. [] In the poem we find grounds for our views about her worship of Aphrodite, [] her involvement in the thasos, [] and her poetic . I adjure you, Euangelos, by Anubis and Hermes and by all the rest of you down below, bring [agein] and bind Sarapias whose mother is Helen, [bringing Sarapias] to this Hrais here whose mother is Thermoutharin, now, now, quick, quick. Marry a younger woman. . As for us, 8 may we have no enemies, not a single one. This repetition gives Aphrodite a similar tone to a nagging, annoyed mother who asks their child, What did you do now, little one? or What have you gotten into?, Though now he flies, ere long he shall pursue thee;Fearing thy gifts, he too in turn shall bring them;Loveless to-day, to-morrow he shall woo thee,Though thou shouldst spurn him.. Blessed Aphrodite Glorious, Radiant Goddess I give my thanks to you For guiding me this past year Your love has been a light Shining brightly in even the darkest of times And this past year There were many, many dark times This year has been a long one Full of pain . a shade amidst the shadowy dead. . 8. The exact reading for the first word is . Come, as in that island dawn thou camest, Billowing in thy yoked car to Sappho. Sappho uses the word , or mainolas thumos in the poem, which translates to panicked smoke or frenzied breath. Still, thumos is also associated with thought and emotion because ones breath pattern shows how they are feeling. Austin and Bastianini, quoted in Athenaeus 13.596c. She entreats the goddess not to ignore her pleadings and so break a heart which is already stricken with grief. they say that Sappho was the first, https://modernpoetryintranslation.com/sappho-the-brothers-poem/. The poem is the only one of Sappho's which survives complete. this, 16 and passionate love [ers] for the Sun has won for me its radiance [t lampron] and beauty [t kalon]. SAPPHO'S PRAYER TO APHRODITE. Best summary PDF, themes, and quotes. Sappho creates a remembered scene, where Aphrodite descended from Olympus to assist her before: " as once when you left your father's/Golden house; you yoked to your shining car your/wing-whirring sparrows;/Skimming down the paths of the sky's bright ether/ O n they brought you over the earth's . The most commonly mentioned topic in the fragments is marriage, while the longest poem is a prayer to Aphrodite. And with precious and royal perfume 8 To become ageless [a-gra-os] for someone who is mortal is impossible to achieve. She names Aphrodite in connection with the golden mansions of Olympos and Aphrodites father, Zeus. 11 The catastrophic [lugr] pain [oni] in the past, he was feeling sorrow [akheun] . Yet the stanza says nothing specific about this particular woman. Its not that they havent noticed it. Why, it just, You see, the moment I look at you, right then, for me. The Poems of Sappho, by John Myers O'Hara, [1910], at sacred-texts.com p. 9 ODE TO APHRODITE Aphrodite, subtle of soul and deathless, Daughter of God, weaver of wiles, I pray thee Neither with care, dread Mistress, nor with anguish, Slay thou my spirit! These themes are closely linked together through analysis of Martin Litchfield West's translation. Sappho addresses the goddess, stating that Aphrodite has come to her aid often in the past. Likewise, love can find a middle ground. One of her common epithets is "foam-born," commemorating the goddess' birth from the seafoam/sperm of her heavenly father, Kronos. 5 She had been raised by the goddess Hera, who cradled her in her arms like a tender seedling. And you flutter after Andromeda. The marriage is accomplished as you prayed. . We may question the degree of historicity in such accounts. Her name inspired the terms 'sapphic' and 'lesbian', both referencing female same-sex relationships. On the other hand, A. P. Burnett sees the piece as "not a prayer at all", but a lighthearted one aiming to amuse. are the sparrow, the dove, the swan, the swallow, and a bird called iynx. Beyond the meter of Sapphos Hymn to Aphrodite, this poem uses a specific form that would have been very familiar to ancient Greek and Roman people. the mules. By the end of the first stanza, the poems focus has already begun to shift away from a description of Aphrodite and towards "Sappho"s relationship with her. Introduction: A Simple Prayer The Complexity of Sappho 1 , ' Pindar, Olympian I Sappho's Prayer to Aphrodite (Fragment 1 V. [1] ) holds a special place in Greek Literature. In the final two lines of the first stanza, Sappho moves from orienting to the motive of her ode. Burn and set on fire her soul [pskh], her heart [kardia], her liver, and her breath with love for Sophia whose mother is Isara. hunting down the proud Phaon, If not, I would remind you Thus, Sappho, here, is asking Aphrodite to be her comrade, ally, and companion on the battlefield, which is love. Prayer to Aphrodite Sappho, translated by Alfred Corn Issue 88, Summer 1983 Eternal Aphrodite, Zeus's daughter, throne Of inlay, deviser of nets, I entreat you: Do not let a yoke of grief and anguish weigh Down my soul, Lady, But come to me now, as you did before When, hearing my cries even at that distance 9 Why, even Tithonos once upon a time, they said, was taken by the dawn-goddess [Eos], with her rosy arms [10] she felt [. I often go down to Brighton Beach in order to commune with Aphrodite. Weeping many tears, she left me and said, It is sometimes refered to as Fragment 1, Title, Author, Book and Lines of your passage (this poem is Sappho's "Hymn to Aphrodite"). Sappho's A Prayer To Aphrodite and Seizure. Whoever is not happy when he drinks is crazy. So, the image of the doves is a very animated illustration of Sapphos experiences with both love and rejection. You know how we cared for you. Thats what the gods think. The speaker begins by describing a beautiful orchard of apple trees studded with altars which burn incense in devotion to the goddess. The first two lines of the poem preface this plea for help with praise for the goddess, emphasizing her immorality and lineage. Several others are mentioned who died from the leap, including a certain iambographer Charinos who expired only after being fished out of the water with a broken leg, but not before blurting out his four last iambic trimeters, painfully preserved for us with the compliments of Ptolemaios (and Photius as well). These tricks cause the poet weariness and anguish, highlighting the contrast between Aphrodites divine, ethereal beauty and her role as a goddess who forces people to fall in love with each other sometimes against their own will. POEMS OF SAPPHO POEMS OF SAPPHO TRANSLATED BY JULIA DUBNOFF 1 Immortal Aphrodite, on your intricately brocaded throne,[1] child of Zeus, weaver of wiles, this I pray: Dear Lady, don't crush my heart with pains and sorrows. This frantic breath also mimics the swift wings of the doves from stanza three. Yet there are three hearts that she . Sappho then states her thesis clearly at the beginning of the second stanza. In the poems final line, Sappho asks Aphrodite to be her sacred protector, but thats not what the Greek has to say about it. like a hyacinth. But you hate the very thought of me, Atthis, all of a sudden fire rushes under my skin. [4][5], Though the poem is conventionally considered to be completely preserved, there are two places where the reading is uncertain. According to the account in Book VII of the mythographer Ptolemaios Chennos (ca. Keith Stanley argues that these lines portray Aphrodite "humorous[ly] chiding" Sappho,[37] with the threefold repetition of followed by the hyperbolic and lightly mocking ', ', ; [d][37]. Accordingly, the competing readings are on the order of "[Aphrodite] of the many-coloured throne" or "[Aphrodite] of the subtle/complex mind. iv . [b] As the poem begins with the word "'", this is outside of the sequence followed through the rest of Book I, where the poems are ordered alphabetically by initial letter. [23] As late as 1955 Edgar Lobel and Denys Page's edition of Sappho noted that the authors accepted this reading "without the least confidence in it". One day not long after . A multitude of adjectives depict the goddess' departure in lush colorgolden house and black earthas well as the quick motion of the fine sparrows which bring the goddess to earth. Aphrodites tone here is loving but also belittling and a bit annoyed. In closing, Sappho commands Aphrodite to become her , or comrade in battle. Our text includes three of Sappho's best known poems, in part because they are the most complete. What now, while I suffer: why now. With its reference to a female beloved, the "Ode to Aphrodite" is (along with Sappho 31) one of the few extant works of Sappho that provides evidence that she loved other women. Enable JavaScript and refresh the page to view the Center for Hellenic Studies website. This idea stresses that Sappho and Aphrodite have a close relationship, which is unusual in Ancient Greek poetry. I would be crazy not to give all the herds of the Cyclopes The poem begins with Sappho praising the goddess before begging her not to break her heart by letting her beloved continue to evade her. If so, "Hymn to Aphrodite" may have been composed for performance within the cult. The Ode to Aphrodite survived from antiquity. The poet certainly realized that this familiar attitude towards the goddess was a departure from conventional religious practice and its depiction in Greek literature. [9] However, Anne Carson's edition of Sappho argues for ,[8] and more recently Rayor and Lardinois, while following Voigt's text, note that "it is hard to decide between these two readings". I implore you, dread mistress, discipline me no longer with love's anguish! [ back ] 1. Lady, not longer! document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); document.getElementById( "ak_js_2" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Our work is created by a team of talented poetry experts, to provide an in-depth look into poetry, like no other. [32], Classicists disagree about whether the poem was intended as a serious piece. Copyright 1999 - 2023 GradeSaver LLC. Her arrival is announced by But you in the first line of the fourth stanza. The moon is set. The statue of Pygmalion which was brought to life by Aphrodite in answer to his prayers. She makes clear her personal connection to the goddess who has come to her aid many times in the past. Like a golden flower Instead, he offers a version of those more versed in the ancient lore, according to which Kephalos son of Deioneus was the very first to have leapt, impelled by love for Pterelas (Strabo 10.2.9 C452). In this poem, Sappho expresses her desperation and heartbrokenness, begging Aphrodite to be the poets ally. Like a hyacinth With these black-and-white claims, Aphrodite hints that she is willing to help Sappho, and she tells the poet that before long, the person Sappho loves will return her affections. Manchester Art Gallery, UK / Bridgeman. 16 She is [not] here. The poetry truly depicts a realistic picture of the bonds of love. Accessed 4 March 2023. 33 It has eluded the notice of the apple pickers. Every single person that visits Poem Analysis has helped contribute, so thank you for your support. 35 In "A Prayer To Aphrodite," Sappho is offering a prayer, of sorts, to the goddess of love. [6] Both words are compounds of the adjective (literally 'many-coloured'; metaphorically 'diverse', 'complex', 'subtle'[7]); means 'chair', and 'mind'. This is a prayer to the goddess Aphrodite, and speaks of times of trouble in Sappho's life. 9 Instead, send [pempein] me off and instruct [kelesthai] me [10] to implore [lissesthai] Queen Hera over and over again [polla] 11 that he should come back here [tuide] bringing back [agein] safely 12 his ship, I mean Kharaxos, 13 and that he should find us unharmed. Aphrodite was the ancient Greek goddess of love, beauty, pleasure and procreation. Sappho promises that, in return, she will be Aphrodites ally, too. . to make any sound at all wont work any more. Aphrodite is known as the goddess of love, beauty, and sexual desire. The audience is left wondering if Aphrodite will again come down from the heavens to help Sappho or ignore her prayer. 10; Athen. 9 Sappho, depicted on an Attic kalpis, c.510 BC The Ode to Aphrodite (or Sappho fragment 1 [a]) is a lyric poem by the archaic Greek poet Sappho, who wrote in the late seventh and early sixth centuries BCE, in which the speaker calls on the help of Aphrodite in the pursuit of a beloved. On soft beds you satisfied your passion. With my eyes I see not a thing, and there is a roar, The herald Idaios camea swift messenger, and the rest of Asia imperishable glory [, from holy Thebe and Plakia, they led her, the lovely Andromache. [5] Its really quite easy to make this understandable 6 to everyone, this thing. The myth of Kephalos and his dive may be as old as the concept of the White Rock. Up with them! The lady doth protest too much, methinks is a famous quote used in Shakespeares Hamlet. Anne Carson's Translations of Sappho: A Dialogue with the Past? [30] Ruby Blondell argues that the whole poem is a parody and reworking of the scene in book five of the Iliad between Aphrodite, Athena, and Diomedes. a small graceless child. January 1, 2021 Priestess of Aphrodite. By stanza two of Sapphos Hymn to Aphrodite, the poet moves on to the argument potion of her prayer, using her poetics to convince Aphrodite to hear her. Alas, how terribly we suffer, Sappho. We respond to all comments too, giving you the answers you need. And the news reached his dear ones throughout the broad city. Im older. She is the personification of the female principle in nature. Summary "Fragment 2" is an appeal to Kypris, or the goddess Aphrodite, to come from far off Krete to a beautiful temple where the speaker resides. Describing the goddesss last visit, Sappho uses especially lush imagery. It introduces a third character into the poem, a she who flees from "Sappho"s affections. 17 Swiftly they vanished, leaving thee, O goddess. Hymenaon, Sing the wedding song! Sparrows that brought you over black earth. What do fragments 53 and 57 have in common? Come to me now, Aphrodite; dispel the worries that irritate and offend me; fulfill the wishes of my heart; and fight here beside me. It has been established that Sappho was born around 615 BCE to an aristocratic family on the Greek island of Lesbos during a period of a great artistic rebirth on the island. Sappho refers to Aphrodite as the "daughter of Zeus." This is an interesting reflection on the dichotomy between Aphrodite's two birth myths. .] Sappho of Lesbos (l. c. 620-570 BCE) was a lyric poet whose work was so popular in ancient Greece that she was honored in statuary, coinage, and pottery centuries after her death. 14 [. 2. In this case, Sappho often suffers from heartbreak, unrequited love, and rejection. And there is dancing While Sappho asks Aphrodite to hear her prayer, she is careful to glorify the goddess. And when the maidens stood around the altar, 5 So, with just this phrase, Sappho describes her breath as frantic, her mind as confused, and her emotions as frenzied. I say this to you the passerbyshe was left behind by him for as long a time as 4 is possible to hope [. She seems to be involved, in this poem, in a situation of unrequited love. It is through you visiting Poem Analysis that we are able to contribute to charity. Aphrodite is invoked as the queen of deception-designing or wiles-weaving. Another reason for doubting that Sapphos poetry had been the inspiration for the lovers leaps at Cape Leukas is the attitude of Strabo himself. The moon shone full Sappho is depressed because a woman that she loved has left in order to be married and, in turn, she is heartbroken. around your soft neck. 6 Let him become a joy [khar] to those who are near-and-dear [philoi] to him, 7 and let him be a pain [oni] to those who are enemies [ekhthroi]. In this poem, Sappho expresses her desperation and heartbrokenness, begging Aphrodite to be the poet's ally. That sonic quality indicates that rather than a moment of dialogue, these lines are an incantation, a love charm. .] The persistent presence of "Sappho"'s voice signals that she too sees the irony of her situation, and that the goddess is laughing with her, not at her. many wreaths of roses In Greek, Sappho asks Aphrodite to be her , or symmachos which is a term used for the group of people that soldiers fought beside in battle. Abstracted from their inherited tribal functions, religious institutions have a way of becoming mystical organizations. 1. Lady, not longer! One ancient writer credited Aphrodite with bringing great wealth to the city of Corinth. [3] It is also partially preserved on Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 2288, a second-century papyrus discovered at Oxyrhynchus in Egypt. his purple cloak. In closing the poem, Sappho begs Aphrodite to come to her again and force the person who Sappho yearns for to love her back. And the whole ensemble climbed on, And the unmarried men led horses beneath the chariots, And the sound of the cymbals, and then the maidens, sang a sacred song, and all the way to the sky. Sappho identifies herself in this poem; the name Sappho (Psappho) appears in only three other fragments. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. until you found fair Cyprus' sandy shore-. For example, Queen Artemisia I is reputed to have leapt off the white rock out of love for one Dardanos, succeeding only in getting herself killed. bittersweet, Thus, you will find that every translation of this poem will read very differently. Posidippus 122 ed. 3. 7 That name of yours has been declared most fortunate, and Naucratis will guard it safely, just as it is, 8 so long as there are ships sailing the waters of the Nile, heading out toward the open sea.